It was a brief but exciting first week of school! I was great to see returning students and I was thrilled to meet students new to our community!
The days before school starts are busy ones for teachers! Thanks so much for the supplies you have shared with the class- it allowed me to have the room ready to go. Here is the space in which your child will grow and learn each day!
We will be spending much of this week continuing to reflect on ourselves as readers, writers, and mathematicians. Last week we had our first Writing Workshop together. Children reflected on the question: How did the first day of Writing Workshop feel?
Here is what some children said:
Aidan: It felt new; it felt like I was going to write something I never wrote before!
Nellie: I’m proud of myself because I wrote a lot.
Samantha: It felt good and fun to do it in a different class.
Katherina: At first me and Mia didn’t know what to write about, but then we thought of something to write about.
Mikayla: It felt interesting because it’s the 2nd day of school, but the first day of Writing Workshop. It felt calm because everyone was quietly working.
Max : It was fun because when you are in a different class with other people, you get other ideas.
Maksud- It was confusing because I was writing for a long time and I got jammed up and I had nothing else to write about. I also felt nervous.
Benjamin: It felt easy because I knew what I was going to write about.
This coming week, we will be begin to use our Writer’s Notebooks and talk about ways writers get ideas. We’ll be looking at strategies used by professional writers, such as Ralph Fletcher, and trying on some of those strategies.
I am looking forward to an amazing year together! I hope to see you at Curriculum Night, Wednesday, September 13th, from 5-7pm.
HOUSEKEEPING AND REMINDERS:
- Parents, Please fill out the BLUE CARD and all other forms ASAP!
- Photos and Mementos for decorating our Writer’s notebooks are due Tuesday.
- Our Homework routine begins this week. The Homework template (sent home every Monday) will show the assignments given for each night.
- SNACK: Please send your child with a SEPARATE snack. We store our snacks and lunches in two different areas. Only water is allowed during snack.
- WE NEED GAMES! Please consider donating games for our Choice Time on Fridays! We would love to have Board games, card games (Uno, etc.), more Legos, chess sets, and reusable clay.
Ms. Marcy 🙂