It was great to meet many of you at Curriculum Night! If you were unable to attend, you can view the Curriculum Night Presentation.
Writers’ Workshop is in full swing! The students decorated their notebooks to reflect their own, unique personalities and interests. Last week, we continued to think about our writing identity by looking at quotes and video of other writers, such as Mary Amato, Avi, and even Ray Bradbury. We reflected on quotes from famous authors, and thought more about “Who am I as a writer? Which published author am I most like?”
Here is a sampling of quotes we read together: Quotes From Writers
- “If you’re going to be a writer, the first essential is just to write. Do not wait for an idea. Start writing something and the ideas will come. You have to turn the faucet on before the water starts to flow.”
By Louis L’Amour
- “Quantity produces quality. If you only write a few things, you’re doomed.”
By Ray Bradbury
- “Every writer I know has trouble writing.”
By Joseph Heller
- “I’m not a very good writer, but I’m an excellent re-writer.”
By James Michener
- “Writing is seeing. It is paying attention.”
By Kate DiCamillo
6. “Everyone walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don’t see any.”
By Orson Scott Card
As students reflected on these quotes, they choose one quote, and wrote about why they can identify with that writer.
Responsive Classroom and Choice Time
Last week we played a few games that are meant to infuse fun and a sense of belonging into our classroom. Ask your child about Laughing Scarf , Just Like Me, and Who Remembers? These morning meeting activities are also ways that we come together as a class community and continue to get to know one another.
We had our first Choice Time on Friday. Choice time is an important time for students to first finish any incomplete class assignments, then make choices, such as art, Chess, Legos, drawing or reading. Students also can complete assignments every day after lunch, during Quiet Time.
We would love donations of more games for Choice Time!
- Book baggies and Reading Logs will start coming home this week! Please make sure your child brings his/her book baggie back and forth to school each day!
- Writers’ notebooks will also be sent home for some Homework assignments. This notebook is used in school daily- please make sure it is returned to school.
- No school Thursday and Friday
- Wednesday night’s homework is due next Monday!