We are excited to announce the opening of the Kindergarten Café.
The culminating project of our inquiry into restaurants is a café that the kindergartners open right here at BSI!
K002 will be running the café on:
Tuesday, May 29th from 10:20 am to 11:20 am
Wednesday, May 30th from 10:20 am to 11:20 am
In Room 301
Families are invited to help in two very important ways:
- Come to the café as a customer. Come and eat at our restaurant. The kindergartners perform all tasks including host, waiter, cook and entertainment! Reservations are required. Please sign up here.
- Volunteer to help run our café! We can’t do this without you! We need adults to help prepare food, set up, clean up and to help students cook/plate the food at the café. Please sign up here.
Questions you might have:
What will happen on the days our class is running the restaurant?
- Family volunteers will come early to help set up the restaurant in room 301. Students will have already made all necessary items, including menus, decorations and signs. The setup will include an area for tables, an area for the food and an area for the cashier.
- Each student will be pre-assigned a job and will know their responsibilities. Family volunteers will help student “chefs” plate the food according to customers’ orders.
- Families, students from other classes, and staff will visit the restaurant.
- Family volunteers will help clean up.
What will I do if I volunteer to help with food?
Some items can be prepared ahead of time (e.g.: pasta salad) and can be sent in with your child in the morning. We also need parents to help prepare food at the restaurant (e.g.: running the blender for smoothies or spreading cream cheese on bagels.)
What is on the menu?
- Mini Bagels with cream cheese or butter
- Pasta Salad
- Fruit Salad
- Yogurt Parfaits
(Menu items are subject to change!)
Does the food cost money and where will the money go?
Everything at the K-café costs $1.00. This makes figuring the bill easy for our young mathematicians. The money will first go to reimburse money spent on the K-café and then towards our end of year picnic.
Will my child be able to eat food during the K-Cafe?
On the days that we are running the cafe we will not be eating the food but will focus on the responsibilities of the cafe. We will visit the cafe as customers when the other kindergarten is running it and enjoy eating the food.
The K-Café is an exciting project for all of BSI. It is a tradition for the kindergartners to open a restaurant in the spring and many older students have great memories of running the K-Cafe. We are looking forward to doing this project with our students and with you, their families.