K-Café Count Down!
We are excited to announce that the opening of the Kindergarten Café is only 2 weeks away!
The culminating project of our restaurant inquiry is a café that the kindergartners open right here at BSI!
K002 will be running the café on:
Monday, April 15th from 10:30 am to 11:30 am
Tuesday, April 16th from 10:30 am to 11:30 am
In Room 301
K001 will be running the café on:
Wednesday, April 17th from 10:30 am to 11:30 am
Thursday, April 18th from 10:30 am to 11:30am
In Room 301
Families are invited to help in two very important ways:
- Volunteer to help run our café! We can’t do this without you! We need adults to help prepare food, set up, clean up and to help students cook/plate the food at the café. Please sign up here.
- Come sit at a table and be a customer at the K-Café! The kindergartners perform all tasks including host, server, cook and even entertainment! Reservations are required. Please sign up here.
Questions you might have:
What will happen on the days our class is running the restaurant?
- Family volunteers will come early to help set up the restaurant in room 301. Students will have already made all necessary items, including menus, decorations and signs. The setup will include an area for tables, an area for the food and an area for the cashier.
- Each student will be pre-assigned a job and will know his/her responsibilities. Family volunteers will help student “cooks” prepare and plate the food according to customers’ orders.
- Families, students from other classes, and staff will visit the restaurant.
- Family volunteers will help clean up.
What will I do if I volunteer to help with food?
Some items can be prepared ahead of time (e.g.: pasta salad) and can be sent in with your child in the morning or delivered to the school. We also need parents to help prepare food at the restaurant (e.g.: running the blender for smoothies or helping students spread cream cheese on bagels.)
What is on the menu?
- Mini Bagels with cream cheese or butter
- Pasta Salad
- Fruit Salad
- Yogurt Parfaits
(Menu items are subject to change!)
Does the food cost money and where will the money go?
Everything at the K-café costs $1.00. This makes figuring the bill easy for our young mathematicians. The money will first go to reimburse what is spent on the K-café and the rest will be used to support our Kindergarten classrooms.
Will my child be able to eat food during the K-Café?
On the days that we are running the café we will not be eating the food but will focus on the responsibilities of the café. We will visit the café as customers when the other kindergarten is running it and enjoy eating the food.
The K-Café is an exciting project for all of BSI. It is a tradition for the kindergartners to open a restaurant in the spring. Everyone enjoys coming to the K-Café and many older students have great memories of running the K-Café themselves! We look forward to working together to support our kindergartners as they open their first business!