PS/IS 686 | Brooklyn, NY

Special Education And Support Services

At Brooklyn School Of Inquiry, we want to ensure that children with all types of learning styles and needs are set up for success. We have the following related services available for eligible students:

  • Speech and language therapy
  • Occupational therapy
  • Physical therapy
  • School counseling
  • Paraprofessional support
  • Vision and Hearing

Our students with IEP’s and 504’s partake in our accelerated curriculum.  Faculty members work with students and their families to create a program to ensure each child’s success.

Grades K-5

Students with IEPs are integrated into all General Education classes and receive SETSS or related services either in class or in pull-out sessions, depending on their individual needs. There is no ICT programming in K-5.

Grades 6-8

Students receive related services and/or Integrated Co-Teaching. We have one ICT cohort class in each of the following grades:  6th,7th and 8th. All 6th, 7th and 8th grade students move with their homeroom class throughout the day for classes such as ELA, Science, Social Studies, Spanish, Physical Education, Media Literacy, and Math. Students integrate with the other cohorts on their grade during electives, Advisory, and Lunch/recess.

If your child already has an IEP, and you need to speak with a provider, please contact that provider directly.

If your child has a 504 or you have questions about 504 support, please contact our guidance counselor

If you are concerned about your child’s progress in the general education curriculum, please contact your child’s general education teacher.

For more information regarding special education in NYC, go to



A certified ENL teacher provides pull-out or push-in support.


A special education teachers provides pull-out or push-in support.

INTEGRATED CO-TEACHING (ICT) (Grades 6th-8th only)

One special education teacher and one general education teacher, class can consist of up to 40% of students with IEPs.


What if I have concerns about my child’s academic progress? What steps should I take?
1)Talk to your child’s teacher to get a sense of how they are performing in school. If you are in agreement that your child could benefit from additional support the teacher will meet with the Pupil Personnel Committee to develop an intervention plan. PPC will review student data and work samples and develop an action plan that may include a related service screen, academic intervention services or at-risk services. Each case runs on a 6-8 week cycle. Your child’s progress will be reviewed at the end of the cycle and next steps will be discussed.

Can my child’s teacher or another professional at the school also request an evaluation of my child?
Yes. A professional such as a teacher can request an evaluation, but a parent needs to give consent for an evaluation to be initiated.

Who conducts the evaluations?
Our School Base Support Team conducts all school-based evaluations.

How does the evaluation process work?
The school must evaluate a child within 60 days of a parent giving consent for the evaluation. Your child will likely be given an evaluation by the school’s educational psychologist, who will assess all of his or learning needs. Other specialists may observe or evaluate your child too. Parents will work with the school’s social worker and provide background information about their child’s learning and development. The more information parents provide, the better.

After these observations, the school and family will meet to discuss the evaluation and make recommendations. If your child is approved for services, let the team know what services you think your child can benefit from.

How are children deemed eligible for special education services?
Not every child who is evaluated will be deemed eligible for services. I.D.E.A., the federal law that governs special education in the U.S., says that a child can be considered eligible if he or she has a recognized disability and that disability adversely affects the child academically.

What is an IEP?
IEP stands for Individualized Education Program. This is a legal document that specifies the services a child an receive including the frequency and setting of those services. No changes can be made to a child’s IEP without parental consent.

What is a 504 plan?
A 504 plan allows for a child with diagnosed disabilities, such as particular medical conditions, to receive extra accommodations in the classroom. For example, a child with severe food allergies may receive the help of a paraprofessional. A child with Attention Deficit Disorder may be given extra time for testing or be allowed to sit in the front of the classroom. A 504 plan is distinct from an IEP and is covered by a separate law. If your child has a specific medical condition or disability and needs extra assistance, please reach out to your child’s teacher or an administrator for documentation and next steps.

What if I disagree with the determination made by the special education committee?
If you are not satisfied with the determination, you can seek either mediation or an impartial hearing with the school district. Click here for more information. 

My child has an IEP and/or a 504 plan. Now what?
At the beginning of the school year, discuss with your child’s new teacher(s) your child’s IEP and/or 504 plan. Schedule regular check-ins.

Additionally, if you feel that your child’s needs are not being met please don’t hesitate to contact the classroom teacher and/or administrator.

What if my child is not receiving all of the services mandated by the IEP?
The school is legally bound to adhere to your child’s IEP. Please notify your teacher, the school-based support team and an administrator if you think your child isn’t receiving the correct services.