Family Traditions…We Need Your Help!
Social Studies: Family Traditions
We need your help! In social studies are studying family traditions and celebrations. We would like to invite parents to come in and share with the class a tradition in your family or how your family celebrates a winter holiday. We invite you to come and share your tradition in a 5 to 10 minute presentation. You can bring in items to show the class and/or email photographs ahead of time that we can project on our smart boards. You may also choose to have the students participate in a related activity after the presentation. Here are some examples of what families have done in the past:
- A dad told the class about their Hanukkah tradition of playing Dreidel. After teaching the class the rules students played the game with a partner.
- A family shared how they have the traditions of decorating ornaments every year for their Christmas tree. The parent brought in supplies for students to make their own ornament.
- One mom shared her tradition of decorating acorns.
- One mom performed a traditional dance from her culture and then taught the class some of the dance moves.
- A grandma told the class about a special food the family eats. She brought in the food for everyone to try.
If you have a special traditions that you would like to share with our classes please contact your child’s teacher. (Please note: For other spring holidays, we would love to have your come and share closer to the actual holiday.)
In math we have begun a math investigation using attribute blocks. These blocks come in three defining attributes: size, shape and color. Students will use these blocks to play games, solve puzzles, communicate and defend their reasoning to others and build logic and classification skills. Here is a link to a game similar to one we will be playing in school but with Uno Cards. If you have Uno Cards give it a try. Scroll to the end of the game to see some more challenging variations where students can also practice their addition skills.
We will be going on a field trip on December 4th. If you have not done so please return the trip slip and $12.00 by Monday November 26th. Many of you have volunteered to chaperone. Unfortunately we can only pick three. If you are chosen you will be emailed privately.
Hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving!